10.20.2011

Sport, Shop, and Stank

Rugby Last week I had the opportunity to play a classic European game. Rugby. I jumped on that opportunity real fast. I was real pumped…I had no idea how to play though. I have never played before, much less watched a game. The only thing I knew was that they used, what looks like, a football. I arrived on the field hustling, taunting, and pumping. (I don’t know what pumping means, I just had to have another –ing word and it’s the only thing I could think of. Let’s say pumping means – pumping my fists. Good.) The rules were explained and we were off. Little did we know, running our little hearts out, chasing after the first kick, that we would run into what we did. Can you please guess what it was before you read on? Have you guessed?

It was a pile, puddle, (no,) LAKE of water, mud, cow, and sheep poop! Oh you had to have known. We took off after the ball and one by one: plop, plop, plop. People were ploppin’ in poo all over the place. We saw the others go down but it was too late. We tried to pull up and stop but we hadn’t a chance. We were already slipping and sliding, praying we would be able to stay on our feet. That was an unrealistic prayer because we all knew we were going down. And we did. It splashed up to our arms and some to their faces. Screams, laughs, and cries rang out all over the pasture. It was hilarious. There was nothing left to be done except bear down, play the game, and keep our mouths closed so nothing would splash in. Never did I know of this foul attraction between my body and poo. I cannot get away from it here.

The game was, of course, really fun. And once again, another great experience (with poo).

Lancaster One of the nearest towns to school is Carnforth. But if you want good shopping stores, cafes, and restaurants, we go to Lancaster. To get there, we take the Tuesday bus for £3.50. So last week I traveled to Lancaster during my break. I was listening to music and was a bit preoccupied with my iPod. When I finally looked up, we were traveling right along the Irish Sea...it was beautiful! God is the master creator! It was so pretty I can't see how anyone can't just be in awe over the beauty around them!

Duty You may not know, that each student here has a daily duty. We have a specified (daily) duty for three weeks. After the three weeks, we get switched to a new duty. So for the students that have the nasties, like cleaning toilets, they can have a go at something else too. For the first three weeks here, my duty was in the office. For those that don't know me, I came from an office job. So this was quite familiar territory for me! I answered phones, mailed letters, ran errands, helped students, and got to make announcements on the "bing-bong". We call it the "bing-bong" due to the little jingle that plays before we make our announcement. It's brilliant. This week is week four so we switched duties. Would you like to guess my new duty? I will just tell you...rubbish. Literally and metaphorically. I take out the kitchen rubbish every morning after breakfast. I knew it probably wasn't going to be the most pleasant duty I've ever had, due to my good fortune for the first three weeks. I quickly realized, sleepiness, rubbish, and coherent-ness, do not mix well for me. I instantly learned that all rings, bracelets, and watches need to be removed, and scarves tucked in or taken off before I begin. There are roughly seven to eight rubbish bins that need to be emptied and re-bagged every meal. The grossest ones tend to be the three that students toss their uneaten food in. It usually has soggy cereal and milk splatters all over the sides; covering the tea bags and half eaten toast and yogurt. Once all are emptied, I need to return and re-bag with two (cheap) rubbish bags. Never fails, while I'm gone grabbing the rubbish bags, a student (eating late) always dim-wittedly decides to throw something in the bin without a bag in it. Really? Pet Peeve #45: If there is no rubbish bag in the bin, rubbish does not belong in it. After all that, I get the privilege of dragging the cart full of bags to the dumpster. Today I had two bins full so it shook things up a bit...made it exciting, dragging two carts at a time across the parking lot! I got to the dumpster and tossed the bags in one by one until I got to the last one. I grabbed it, pulled up, and. it. ripped. Now, inside was not any "normal" rubbish. Slowly gooing out and plopping in the bottom of the cart was, what looked like, days-old custard. A thick yellow-white milky liquid with chunks. Oh, you bet I was gagging. A kind lad happend upon me during this nightmare and ran and grabbed me a new bag. We put the leaky one inside the new and tossed it into the dumpster. I'm sure this will not be my last (or worst) rubbish story within the next three weeks, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. How I wish I could've been there to see that!! :) Love you so much, MOM

    ReplyDelete