7.24.2010

Storms.
It's 12:25am and so past my bedtime. Lately the Midwest has been the victim of some AWE-mazing thunderstorms! Humidity has been deadly during the day and the temperatures have been high 80's. Now, if you know me at all, you know I love a good thunder storm (with the lightning and rain too, of course)! They're probably my fav. Tonight was the second of these thunderstorms this week. And these weren't just mild, a little lightning here, a little thunder there, oh no no no...massive, high winds, and flood people's basements amount of rain! One of the coolest, indescribable things happened tonight though...I will try my best to depict it for you...

My parents and I went outside to watch the storm coming. There was no sound, just lightning. No wind or even a breeze. The lighting that flashed lit up the whole sky...the kind that if there would have been no clouds, it would have made the sky look like it was still daytime...we walked into the middle of our cul-de-sac to see over the houses. It was lightning like crazy. It lit up the edge of a dark big cloud that looked like it was low enough to touch. We continued to watch the storm heading our way for another two minutes roughly. All of a sudden I thought the edge of this big cloud seemed nearer than it had just 30 seconds ago. As soon I said, "Dad look at that cloud!" we started to feel a breeze. Soon this breeze picked up to a wind and then gusts that made you lose your stance. This whole time we were watching this cloud move with this wind right past our eyes. It was the wierdest thing...I have seen clouds move through the sky before, but this was different. As the cloud started to float over our heads the wind picked up and the thunder instantly started along with some big rain drops. I had never seen anything like it before. It all happened within one minute. This cloud carried behind it a massive storm that caught everyone and everything off guard. It took a minute to come but it was mighty.

God knows when I need to be reminded of his magnificent power and might. And He knows just the way to do it.

Psalm 18
1 I love you, O LORD, my strength.
2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.  He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
3 I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.
11 He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him— the dark rain clouds of the sky.
12 Out of the brightness of his presence clouds advanced, with hailstones and bolts of lightning.
13 The LORD thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded.
14 He shot his arrows and scattered the enemies, great bolts of lightning and routed them.
49 Therefore I will praise you among the nations, O LORD; I will sing praises to your name.

2 comments:

  1. Yes... the storm front was eerily impressive. To explain what Amanda was trying to say: The underlying cloud cover was being visibly pushed in an arch-like configuration by the winds associated with the storm front. The low-level, fast-moving dark clouds were illuminated by the street lights and back-lit by the amazing lightning dancing in the Cumulonimbus layer high above. The deathly still, warm air was quickly stirred into a frenzy of high winds, rain, and cool air as the front pushed through! The perfect example of atmospheric instability and God's awesome power.

    Dad (I wanted to be a weather man in the third grade)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^
    This summer has been the summer of thunderstorms! Two summers ago it was a summer with a lot of thunderstorms in Iowa. Good ol' go to the basement just in case ones.

    ReplyDelete