4.18.2013

Winter Bible School has ended.
Spring Break Holidays have come to a close.
New believers have been born here over the past three weeks!
Spring Bible School begins in 2 days.
Going home is in the near future.
Sun (and wind) is currently a more common forecast than rain.
I miss my family...and my country.

A fellow American and I were chatting the other day...how often do you thank the Lord for the country you were born in? Living in a different one for almost two years has reignited my American Pride. Living in England has been some of the best years of my life, but I never knew how much I would miss America. Yes, America has it's issues, but which country doesn't? People run our country, what do we expect? People aren't perfect. Do you ever wonder what it would have been like living with George Washington or Abraham Lincoln as your President? I do sometimes...when God was the most important influence in government and His name was freely and openly proclaimed.
On another note...
I tried to form a habit over the past month: to work the word "pardon" into my daily vocabulary. An American stereotype (that is true) is the overuse of the word "what". If someone asks me a question, my automatic response is "what?" or "huh?"....ew. It sounds so dull. Even worse, yesterday in Lancaster I was ordering food and the waiter asked me something and the only response I could get out of my dull head was, "say what?"! Oh my goodness! I felt ridiculous. Needless to say, it is not yet a habit. But I'm working on it! To be fair, it is hard to break a habit of "what" for 23 years, in only four short weeks.
I will give it up to the British and their elegant vocabulary. It does inspire me to be better.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being proud of your country, Amanda....I know we are extremely proud and thankful...good insight!

    ps...What do the Brits say instead of, "like"... :)

    LOVE YOU and MISS YOU,

    Mum XO

    ReplyDelete